Your Shopping Cart
Sign Up for the JACLer Newsletter
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 JACL Chicago Scholarship Program.
Check back next Nov/Dec for the 2018 applications!
Please join us for the Scholarship Luncheon on Sunday May 21st at 12:00pm!
JACL Chicago Scholarship Program Guidelines
The Japanese American Citizens League (JACL) is the nation’s oldest and largest Asian American civil rights organization whose mission is to advance social justice and promote the legacy and cultural heritage of the Japanese American community.
The Chicago Chapter of JACL offers scholarships ranging from $1,500 to $5,000+ to entering freshman, undergraduate, and graduate students. Scholarships are funded by generous donations from JACL Chicago members and the greater Chicago Japanese American community. The mission of the JACL Chicago Scholarship Program is to encourage youth involvement in local initiatives that advance JACL’s mission, including social justice advocacy, leadership and education, and Japanese American community involvement.
To learn more about JACL Chicago, visit www.jaclchicago.org.
- JACL Membership: Applicants must be members of JACL Chicago at the time of application. Student/youth, individual, or family membership will meet this requirement.
- Enrollment Status: Applicants must be full-time students at an accredited college, university, or other institution of higher learning in the United States for the fall of 2017. Students deferring enrollment will not qualify for the 2017 scholarship program. All awards are contingent on proof of enrollment.
- Entering freshman applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois for at least one year prior to graduation, OR graduate from an accredited Illinois high school.
- Undergraduate and graduate applicants must be residents of the State of Illinois (although attendance at schools outside of Illinois is permissible) OR actively enrolled in an accredited Illinois university, college, or institution of higher learning at the time of application.
- Limits: JACL Chicago scholarship winners are limited to receiving a total of two (2) awards in their lifetime.
- Scholarship Luncheon: All scholarship winners are required to attend the Scholarship Luncheon on Sunday, May 21, 2017. Awards will be distributed on this date. Any awardee who does not attend without prior approval from the scholarship committee will forfeit their award.
HOW TO APPLY
- Application forms will be available at jaclchicago.org or the JACL Chicago office by November 2016.
- All application materials, including application form and supplemental pages, official transcripts, ACT/SAT scores (for entering freshman), and recommendation letters must be included in one complete application packet. Do not submit materials separately. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Do not staple the application or materials. Use a binder clip or paper clip.
- Applications must be received or postmarked by Wednesday, March 1, 2017. Late applications will not be considered. Electronic submissions will not be accepted. Send complete application packet to:
JACL Chicago Scholarship Committee
5415 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60640
- Applicants will be notified of the Scholarship Committee’s decision in April 2017. All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final.
For questions or more information, contact Judy Tanaka, JACL Chicago Scholarship Committee chair, at email@example.com.
NOTE: The Japanese American Citizens League administers a National Scholarship Program that is separate and independent from the JACL Chicago Scholarship Program. For information about the JACL National Scholarship Program, please visit: www.jacl.org/jacl-national-scholarship-program.
November 2017 – Applications will be available for download from the JACL Chicago web site (http://www.jaclchicago.org)
or by calling the Chicago JACL office at 773/728-7171.
March 1, 2017 – Applications must be received or postmarked by this date for scholarship consideration. Applications must be complete for award consideration.
April 2017 – Scholarship applicants will be notified of the results of the Scholarship Committee’s evaluation.
May 21, 2017 – Annual Scholarship Luncheon. Recipients must be present to receive awards unless an exception is approved by the Scholarship Committee.